Hi there! I’m Shannon Costal. I am the mother of 4 kids, three boys and a girl. Prior to having kids, I was an advertising / PR executive. And then the kids came along and changed everything. I’ve been a stay at home mom for eleven years and loved (almost) every minute of it. This year, my twins started Kindergarten and I didn’t know what I was going to do with myself! My identity has felt like my kids for so long. Now I need to find out who I am. So here’s what I know:
1. I am the youngest of 5 kids (three sisters and a brother)
2. I traveled to 48 of the 50 states, but mostly when I was a kid. I saw most of what there was to see from the back of a rental station wagon. Not the most glamorous way to travel, but when you’re the daughter of a pilot and the youngest of 5, you’re lucky you don’t get forgotten at the airport.
3. My favorite movies are Mary Poppins and Contact. I watched Mary Poppins every day after school in Kindergarten. I can recite every word. “Number 17 Cherry Tree Lane?”
4. I love astronomy (hence my favorite movie) and I would travel to space if I could.
5. I live at the Jersey shore and can’t imagine not living near the beach.
6. The phrase “You never know how strong you are until you have to be” is definitely the theme of my life. We don’t get a choice what we get dealt in life, it’s how we play the hand that counts.
7. I am loud and funny and I always have the loudest laugh in the room. You would never believe that deep down it’s a defense mechanism. I have to force myself to leave the house some days.
8. I am Irish and Italian and I’ve been to Ireland 3 times and Italy none.
9. When I was 5 my brother tied me to a tree in a thunderstorm. It took 3 tries and I broke loose. Just goes to show what fear, a little moxie and some good old fashioned determination can do.
10. My son Henry was diagnosed with Cerebral Palsy within months of birth and with the help of some intensive therapies very early on, he is 100% cured. He will always be a miracle to me.
11. I hate cooking, but love to eat! If I want something really good, I ask my mom to make it.
12. I started, but never finished, training to be a Certified Lactation Consultant and breastfed all 4 of my kids (yes, you can breastfeed twins). I love to help new moms breastfeed, but I know choosing how to feed your baby is a very personal decision.
13. If I didn’t live at the Jersey shore, I would want to live in California. Every year, during the Rose Bowl Parade, I research real estate in Pasadena (ah hem, I still can’t afford it.)
14. I am a major Disneyphile, but I never went to Disney World until I was 21.
15. All of my kids names, either first or middle, have literary references because my husband is an English (freak) buff. Tallulah, my only girl, got her name from a dream and I felt like it was Divine Intervention. I knew I would have a girl named Tallulah.
16. Ice cream is definitely its own food group. My favorite flavors are Turkey Hill Chocolate Peanut Butter or Double Dunker. Don’t even come near me with anything vanilla.
17. Because I live in South Jersey, I will fight to the death that WaWa is the finest convenience store in all the land. I could live my whole life on just what they sell at WaWa. This is not up for discussion.
18. When I was little I wanted to be an actress until I realized that pretending to be someone else was really hard.
19. My mom and my sister were on Super Market Sweep in 1992. It was hilarious. They lost because my sister took too many hams.
20. I grew up in the Pocono Mountains in Pennsylvania and moved to Gloucester, NJ in 8th grade. It is probably the single most impactful thing on my life. I went from country bumpkin to Jersey girl and never looked back. What are you lookin’ at? 😉